Carbon offsetting for WooCommerce
Updated on Friday, 6 December 2019
Today we've launched our WooCommerce plugin, a quick and painless way to introduce carbon offsetting into any WooCommerce store. This plugin can be set up in just a few minutes and will show your customers you're ready to help tackle the global climate crisis by lowering the carbon footprint of your online business.
- Seamless integration into your WooCommerce checkout.
- Choose whether you or your customer pays for the carbon offset.
- Our API accurately calculates the carbon emitted for the delivery and prices the carbon offset.
- Customise the appearance to suit your theme.
- Track your offsets and see how many trees you’ve planted in our dashboard.
- Offsets are only added to your account after successful payment by the customer.
- Information on the offset will also appear in the WooCommerce order.
Set up the plugin
Getting started is easy. As a quick summary, all you need to do is create an account with us, set up your billing preferences and add your API key to our WooCommerce plugin. For a more detailed breakdown, read the instructions below.
Before installing and setting up the plugin, you will need to register and create an account with us. Once you've created your account, you will need to set up your billing information to generate a live API key. The sandbox API key will not work with this plugin.
The settings you confirm in our dashboard have an effect on this plugin, such as choosing a fixed price.
After you're happy with the settings in our dashboard, you will need to install the Netzero for WooCommerce plugin within your WordPress dashboard. To do this, navigate to "Plugins" > "Add new" and search for "Netzero". Click "Install Now" and then "Activate". Once these steps are complete, you should now see "Netzero" under your WooCommerce section.
The settings page looks like this:
In the settings page you must add your live API key and default product weight for the plugin to work. The default product weight field is there if any products don't have a weight set. Without a weight, our API is unable to calculate the carbon emissions for an order. We recommend choosing a suitable average weight for the types of products you sell.
And that's it. It really does take just a few minutes!
This plugin will be developed further over the coming months, with new features on the roadmap including:
- The ability to add a badge to your website showing the number of trees you’ve planted and carbon saved.
- Public profiles so your customers can see the positive impact you’re having on the planet.
- Per-product offsetting. Offset the manufacturing or general emissions associated with your product.
- Recurring offsets for subscriptions.
The below image shows an example of the plugin in action: